Diabetic foot care involves extending the longevity of your foot and ankle health in the face of the serious complications associated with that disease. For those with diabetes, any minor scuffs on their feet could develop into an infection that can cause nerve harm, numbness and potential amputation. Patients with diabetes are extra vulnerable to severe foot infections because of the reduced blood flow in their feet which makes it difficult for healing to occur.
Since there is reduced feeling in their feet due to neuropathy, those with diabetes must take extra care to avoid any cuts or nicks on their feet. They must also check their feet to ensure there is no infection developing without their knowledge. Foot muscles may also not work properly because of impairment to the nerves in the feet. This can cause a huge amount of compression in a single area of the foot and a foot ulcer may develop.
Peripheral vascular disease is another complication when diabetes interrupts the flow of blood to your feet. Wounds do not heal appropriately because blood does not reach the wound site when it is required and healing may be delayed as a result. Because there are many risks associated with diabetes, you must take proper care to avoid serious complications
Treatment for this condition involves:
- Get regular medical check-ups and inspect your feet routinely.
- Have your blood sugar levels checked on a schedule to monitor your health.
- Participate in physical therapy to help increase blood flow and provide relief from diabetes.
- Wear shoes that are appropriately fitted to your feet and which do not aggravate them when walking.
- Be careful about bringing your feet into contact with surfaces that are overly hot or cold since you may not feel pain due to numbness.
Here at Family Foot Care of Southern Maryland, our podiatrists Dr. Jeffrey Idol, Dr. Judith Olkaba and Dr. Ruth P. Devadas have what it takes to help you manage your feet and ankle health in the face of diabetes. Please contact us for an appointment today! We have four offices conveniently located in Owings, Lexington Park, LaPlata and Huntingtown.